[thelist] Popup Menu sans GIF

Paul Peterson paul at thereformist.com
Tue Nov 27 11:46:02 CST 2001

Hello evolters! Is there a way to create navigation with hierarchical popup
menus that DOESN'T require the use of images? I would like to make this
using only HTML text and JavaScript if necessary, plus CSS to retain style
control.

BACKGROUND: I've currently got rollover navigation using only HTML and CSS
(see left nav at http://www.thegeneration.org for example). However, my
client wants me to add popup menus to the rollovers so users can click
directly to the lower level pages, even though that's what the pulldowns are
for at the top and bottom. If I use the traditional JavaScript method of GIF
rollovers with popup menus, I lose CSS control of appearance--which sucks
because my pages feature selectable styles that alter the nav menu to match
the rest.

The only alternative I can think of right now is to have multiple sets of
navigation images to match the different styles, which would display or be
hidden via CSS depending on which style the user selected. Would that work,
or would it conflict with the JavaScript? I imagine it would also
considerably increase the page loading time, so I'm trying to find a
text-only solution.

Thanking Profusely In Advance,
Paul