[thelist] Search engine submission and url pointing

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Wed Nov 28 06:31:25 CST 2001

On 27 Nov 2001, at 21:18, Peter Kaulback posted a message which said:

> I have a client who has their site on their ISP provided web space and
> is utilizing url pointing to mask this fact.  Will this interfere with
> search engine submissions in any manner?

Yes. Some will see it as an attempt to spam the search engine, and
some will simply rank the site lower because amateur sites tend to
be transient and of questionable value.

A decent web page represents $200+ in labor, and static hosting is
only about $10/month.  Tell your client that it's sinful to waste your
skill by using gimmicks instead of a decent web host, and you
wouldn't want him to end up in Hell.

deke

<tip type="craftsmanship"
It's the poor worksman that blames his tools.

That doesn't mean that a good worksman can work miracles, armed
with flea market junk. Rather, arming oneself with the proper tools for
the job, and caring properly for those tools is the mark of a craftsman.
</tip>

*Any great truth can -- and eventually will -- be expressed as a cliche
-- a cliche is a sure and certain way to dilute an idea. For instance,
my grandmother used to say, "The black cat is always the last one off
the fence." I have no idea what she meant, but at one time, it was
undoubtedly true. --
                       Solomon Short