[thelist] Handling heavy traffic.

Aaron Johnson ajohnson at mindseye.com
Wed Nov 28 16:17:19 CST 2001

> > peak it will be experiencing 90 simultaneous unique users/minute.
	== I'm managing fao.com (a large toy company in the US) right now.. they're
averaging about 100 to 200 current connections at any one time during the
day, per a 3 machine cluster (meaning we have 3 webservers each handling
about 100 to 200 connections each) behind a load balancer.  Almost all the
pages on the site are dynamic... processor, memory and disk are barely being
utilized.

Bottom line:  90 simultaneous users shouldn't be anything to worry about...
and anything dynamic can/should also be cached via query/file/RAM caching if
you're that worried about it.

Specs: dual PIII 733, RAID 5, 1 GIG on each webserver...

HTH

Aaron Johnson, MCSE, MCP+I
Macromedia Certified ColdFusion Developer
MINDSEYE, Inc.
<phn>617.350.0339
<mbl>617.461.3721
<fax>617.350.8884