[thelist] Limitations of PHP mail() function on Windows

Warren Rohner warren.bulk at oi.co.za
Thu Nov 29 01:46:49 CST 2001

Hi all

This is my first post to thelist, so be gentle with the replies please. :)

I'll start this email off with a great article written by John Coggeshall
that I found over at Zend. For those of you interested in learning more
about MIME email, and how to send them from PHP, checkout the 3 part article:
Part1 - http://www.zend.com/zend/spotlight/sendmimeemailpart1.php
Part2 - http://www.zend.com/zend/spotlight/sendmimeemailpart2.php
Part3 - http://www.zend.com/zend/spotlight/sendmimeemailpart3.php

I've been following these examples, and have now been debugging a section
of code since Monday without much success. Basically, what I've got is a
large form (about 50 fields) that upon submission, writes the form
information to a database and then sends off a MIME multipart/alternative
email. The 2 parts are text/plan and text/html. Now the problem that I seem
to be encountering is that when the email header (where I'm placing all
this information) reaches a certain size, PHP gives me the following warning:

	Warning: Failed to Send in index.php on line XXX

However, if I leave off a few lines of the HTML that I'm embedding, then
the mail() function sends off the email perfectly - no errors or warnings.
The mail is formatted perfectly.

This strange functioning has lead me to conclude that PHP only allows a
certain sized email header on the Windows platform. Can anyone verify this
statement or shed some light on what may be happening here?

PHP3.0.16 is running on a Windows NT 4.0 machine as a CGI application, with
Commerce Builder as a Web server and EMWAC IMS as an email server. (pretty
old software all in all, I know).

Thanking you in advance,

Warren Rohner
New Media Programmer