[thelist] PHP mail() - message format

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Thu Nov 29 11:51:24 CST 2001

> >I changed...
> >$message = ereg_replace("(\n|\r)", "\r\n", $message);
> >
> >To...
> >$message = ereg_replace("(\r|\r\n)", "\n", $message);
> >
> >...before sending with mail().
> >
> >And now text messages seem to be handled properly/same through four
> >different accounts that did not handle the messages the same way before.
> >
> >Can anyone explain why different mail accounts (assumably different mail
> >servers) were sending the same mail content in different ways? I
> understand
> >what happened, I think...I just don't know what the rules are.
>
> Oh. I was sure it was just that certain clients were automatically
> wrapping the messages because they had no line wrap already. I guess I was
> wrong.
>
> But, if you would, double-check that. It's hard for me to believe that
> mailservers change *anything* regarding the characters themselves (not
> talking about encoding, or whatever) in a message body.

All four accounts are being retrieved by Outlook (2000 on Win2K), and all
four messages are being sent by the same script on the same webserver. Also,
I have tested this on a Mac client and also via web-based client. Same
results in all cases, which is what led me to believe the only thing
different between all four messages was the mail servers that transfer/hold
the mail.

Other strange things were happening as well, like two accounts were putting
the additional header info in the message body, while the other two were
putting it in the header where it belongs. Again, the only difference
between the four messages was the account they were delivered to, and thus
the servers that delivered the mail.

BH