[thelist] TEST - DELETE ME

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Sat Dec 1 19:30:45 CST 2001

fighting....to....not....reply...must....control...fingers.....

<tip type="ASP - Storing your constants file" author="Anthony Baratta">

I usually have three sites for every big project we do; Dev, Test, Live.
Having three different physical directories and URLs can be a pain in the
butt to work with in code. So I create a constants file that lives "one
directory up" from the web root directory.

e.g.

	/projectone/live/active
	/projectone/dev/active
	/projectone/test/active

In each of these directories, 	/projectone/dev, /projectone/test,
/projectone/live, I store a master constants file. Within this file I put
all the site specific information that would change based upon whether the
site is live or not.

Things like: Mail Addresses, DB Connection Strings, the URL, Control
Switches/Variables (for things like checking for SSL, which the non-live
sites don't need), etc.

The benefit here is that you don't need to make code changes when you move
dev/test to live and the important stuff like DB Connection Strings are not
in the web root.

</tip>
---
Anthony Baratta