[thelist] Flash degrading to .gif

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 3 11:05:52 CST 2001

> From: Fortune Elkins <fortune_elkins at summithq.com>
[...]
> to do this don't you just need to choose the correct publish setting
> out of flash? if you publish out a gif with the right option, flash
> will write out the code for you, right?
[...]

nope, Flash's HTML is pretty poor, even after you fix it...

here, everyone humor me and try something...

if you have IE5.x+ running, set your security prefs to prompt you
*before* running any ActiveX controls...

then go to http://quantumcms.com/

when it asks if you want to allow ActiveX controls and plug-ins to
run, say 'No'...

note how nothing appears in the Flash movies' place (i can easily
fix the height with a spacer)...

however, if you go to
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2829073,00.h
tml (as an example) and click no, a static .gif appears instead of a
Flash movie... clicking yes would show the Flash movie...

so, how can i get that sort of thing to happen on the site above
(which is undergoing a major overhaul)?