[thelist] Variable Stylesheets?

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Mon Dec 3 16:33:10 CST 2001

Hi, Joel,

At 01:12 AM 12/03/2001, you wrote:
>Shirley, didn't you make the comment once that until we stop designing
>for Netscape 4, users won't be motivated to change? I'm beginning to
>think we may actually reach that point.

Well, I'm not the only one who's said this, though. The Web Standards
Project most likely has stated this (certainly something similar to this),
and I've always been a strong supporter of their efforts.

At the same time, there are lots of people stuck with using Netscape 4.x
browsers for various reasons, whether employers, an old computer and no
money, a combination of factors, whatever. It would be great to continue to
educate these people and let them know how to easily upgrade, where to find
the free newer browsers that can still work on an old computer, etc.

So I do indeed have compassion for those stuck with using it. I also think
we can continue to gently nudge and educate employers, libraries, schools,
and whatever else to replace those browsers.

And true, too, is that the more we stop designing for netscape 4, the more
exasperated the users might get and might eventually upgrade their
browsers. Banks are a big example of relying on the newer browsers to use
their online banking service. Lots of people use online banking and must
upload their browsers to do so. Is that such a bad thing? I don't think so
at all. I don't know how others feel about it, though, and undoubtedly
there are some who'd love to use the online banking but can't because their
old computer can't accommodate IE5, IE6 or whatever's needed.

But can many of us handle things that way with the business sites we build
for clients? Not always so straightforward. It's a tough one, ya know?

I do think we can seek a pretty good balance, though, building our sites to
utilize the separation of content and structure as much as possible, making
good use of style sheets, XHTML (or HTML 4.01....), and designing for newer
browsers while allowing for graceful degradation to older browsers so that
they can still access the site, even if it doesn't look identical in
Netscape 4 browsers. This is the approach I've been suggesting to clients
for new sites during the past 6+ months or so, and that's working fine,
although there was one client who still required as close to identical as
possible in Netscape 4. For them I still minimized the use of tables, but I
did use nested tables for the horizontal and vertical box lines and other
things that I now do with CSS instead for other sites.

There are varying degrees of what I mention, too. Some are using CSS-P and
table-less layouts, which will look quite different in Netscape 4 browsers,
while I haven't gone quite that far yet for clients' sites that still have
a bunch of customers and visitors to their sites who expect a comparable
viewing experience in Netscape 4. Hard to justify losing customers because
of this. On the other hand, would customers not buy from a site just
because of this? Still seems like if the site is still usable and functions
that maybe it would be OK.

I think each site and client needs to be evaluated and worked with on this
appropriately. I don't see the answers as black and white at all.

I also think PART of this is a shift in our own thinking and approaches and
then how we present our suggestions to clients so that they understand the
benefits of designing for newer browsers, even if their sites don't look
quite the same in Netscape 4. (and how much does that really matter anyway?
It matters to some but not others.)

>We're seeing more browsers. Mozilla and Opera seem to have little quirks
>all their own; nothing really painful, as I recall, but they exist. I
>want my content to be usable by as much of the target audience as
>possible, so degradability is important, but I wonder if we'll ever
>reach the point where there are too many workarounds to be feasible on a
>commercial site? At some point, will the 'balance of power' shift from
>the users (many of whom are told by their employer what browser to use)
>to designers, who just can't fit any more browser/platform checks and
>workarounds into their code any more?

This is the tough thing, Joel. I think we MUST design for the users for our
commercial sites. But we can find a reasonable enough balance. It's not
easy to accommodate every single browser on all platforms, so my own
compromise is that I won't worry so much about sites looking as identical
as possible. I'll try to make them look very good and similar as much as
possible, but I don't want to go for the painstaking identical visual
appearance that I used to do, either. If it looks good, does it matter if
it's identical on each browser our there? I don't think so, but there are
those who feel otherwise, too, of course.

I watch the stats and build sites to visually look the best for the largest
numbers on the stats logs. And then I also include making sure that the
sites still work fine and are visually OK on the other browsers, too.....
just not identical. I certainly don't forego using the CSS hovers, but I
make sure that sites still make sense for Netscape users who don't see that
feature.

>Of course, a greater evil would be if we DIDN'T have the diversity - in
>spite of a pretty good existing version, I can think of at least one
>company I DON'T want owning the entire browser market (especially since
>they don't even make their own sites comply with existing standards.)

Exactly. We need to continue to have freedom of choice, and the diversity
of browsers is a part of that. Implementing standards and supporting
standards is a great way to seek a good balance. After all, light bulbs
have standards, electricity has standards, and so many other industries
have standards. What a nightmare it would be to have lamps with millions of
socket sizes.... we're not asking for any more than that with our
standards. And there are still millions of lamp styles and a wide range of
choices with light bulbs. Just having the same size socket hasn't impeded
our ability to be creative in the least or for lots of companies to exist.
It's helped it thrive, in my opinion.

>Many inventors and creators worked to fill a need that didn't exist yet,
>except in their own minds. Maybe somehow we really are working toward a
>standards compliant web.

Yes.

>Or maybe it's 1:15 a.m. in SoCal, and somebody's up past bedtime for an
>old man.
>
>Joel at spinhead.com

Old man?!?!  <chuckle>

Warmly,