[thelist] audio hardware question

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Tue Dec 4 14:48:14 CST 2001

> remember, after compression for broadcast over the internet, if you
> shoot for lower bandwidths, pristine audio isn't going to be a major
> factor...

I don't wish to be contradictory, but this is a bit opposite of our
experience here at the radio station I work with. If we're not careful with
the source audio, especially high-end distortion that isn't so audible in
the source, the encoding process for lower bandwidths exposes the problems
and magnifies them in the form of high-end audible artifacts that you really
can't miss. (Perhaps I misunderstood your meaning, and this doesn't actually
contradict at all, but here's my mouth running anyway). Probably good to
keep both the source and the destination of the sound in mind when forming a
solution.

BH