[thelist] Variable Stylesheets?(sorta long. . .)

Damian Maclennan damian_mac at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 4 20:35:43 CST 2001

>Thankfully ASP.NET (which is due out anytime) takes care of ALOT of the
>problems with sessions. (http://www.asp.net/) Once people begin migrating
>ASP.NET you will see less and less session issues.

Not to nitpick here....but...

I had a look into ASP.Net session handling, basically you have 3 choices.

1. Standard asp sessions, this looks exactly the same as what is already in
ASP. In memory, on the one web server, not clusterable etc.

This would have all the same problems.

2. SQL Server. Stores session info in a DB, that is fine, but most people
getting around the session problem on a big scale would have done this by
now, which means production code that is tested and working.

3. A State Server. This is kinda cool, a dedicated server for storing
session info. BUT...you can not cluster this machine, so if it falls
over....goodbye session.

So, basically .net session handling isn't the be all and end all. I am sure
you have looked into it too. It is just that I have seen a lot of blanket
statements like ".net solves all these problems so you won't have to worry
anymore". The only real way it solves it is by using a technique that has
been used for a long time.

Actually, this is something that is a little annoying about .net. A lot of
the new features is all stuff that we have worked around anyway and have
lots of production code doing it. I have stuff like DB based sessions and
caching engines running in production and am quite happy with the way they
work. There is a lot of marketing hype going on.

Just wanted to clear that up :)

Cheers

Damian