[thelist] Variable Stylesheets?(sorta long. . .)

John Olival johnolival at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 5 05:26:11 CST 2001

Damian

> 2. SQL Server. Stores session info in a DB, that is fine, but most people
> getting around the session problem on a big scale would have done this by
> now, which means production code that is tested and working.

How does this DB solution work?

I assume you write a session id into the db when a user starts surfing your
site, and his session id is used in the url for subsequent pages. So when he
goes to another page, the asp code checks to see if the session id exists.
If it does it uses the appropriate info out of the database, otherwise it
creates a new session id. If the user leaves the site, after a certain
amount of time the session id is deleted from the database.

How do you automatically delete an entry from a database after a certain
period of time? Is this really beneficial since server processing is
increased and time wasted by having to go back to the database for every
page?

JohnO