[thelist] Site Review

Burhan Khalid burhankh at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 10:42:16 CST 2001

Hey Peter :

I'm on a machine with Windows 98, running IE 5.5 at 800 by 600.

General Observations :

  I like the navigation scheme of your site. The links are clearly visible,
and easy to recognise. However, I would suggest that giving your sublinks
(the ones that appear when you click on a main link), an onhover action. I
had to guess to find out if they were links or not. Perhaps making them bold
would be the ticket? Also, I like the site map, but I think it would be
better if you were to provide a separate page for it. Since it floods the
bottom of your screen, there is un-necessary scrolling. I would suggest
either a separate page, or a more shrinked down version. Perhaps a text
based link bar at the bottom? I also like your picture bar, but the link at
the bottom (more pictures), appeared off margin (too much to the right) in
my screen. Also, browsing the site I found that randomly Colombia wasn't
capitalized. Might want to look into that. In addition, not all article
headings are capitalized, and some contain periods at the end. I am guessing
these are coming from a database, might want to check those table entries.

Specifics (page by page breakdown) :

Typo?    : highschool
Spelling : high school

Its United Arab Emirates, not United Emirates as you state.
Also, you forgot the b in being (same article)

News (Archives) :

After this entry :
2000-08-26 Neighbors Worry About Colombian Aid - NY Times

The dates are displayed as zeros, and the list repeats itself.

Travel (things to do) :

  Your bicycle article is repeated twice :

bicycle [snip]
Bicycling is maybe the best way to travel, and you can do it in [snip]

Bicycle through Colombia [snip]
Bicycling is maybe the best way to travel, and you can do it in [snip]

Travel (travel stories) :

  Typos : kindof
  Spelling : kind of

  Typos : tripreport
  Spelling : trip report

life in columbia (working, teaching English) :

These are some tips that worked for me.< <-- ?

life in columbia (culture and daily life section) :

test Betty La Fea is a wildly popular telenovela (tv soap) [snip]
Should that test be there?

Typo? : highschool
Correct : high school

Problem on your "yourpage" :

[snip] it\'s easy and free, [snip]

On your life in columbia page (visa's section) :

Typo? : burocrats
Correct Spelling : bureaucrats

Typo? : thouroughly
Correct Spelling : thoroughly

Typo? : kindof
Correct : kind of

That's about it for now. I'm sure others might find things that I might have
missed.

Hope this helps,
Burhan Khalid