[thelist] Email Validator

Matthew Blanchard blanchardmatthew at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 6 04:20:11 CST 2001

> From: "Burhan Khalid" <burhankh at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [thelist] Email Validator

> A trip to regexlib.com revealed this little gem :

^([a-zA-Z0-9_\-\.]+)@((\[[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.)|(([a-zA-Z0-9\

> http://regexlib.com/REDetails.aspx?regexp_id=26

The page says:

"Email validator that adheres directly to the specification for email
address naming. It allows for everything from ipaddress and country-code
domains, to very rare characters in the username."

I don't know of any such "specification", and I don't think one exists. It
also talks about "very rare characters in the username" and it only handles
the "conventional" ones.

It looks like a lousy user contribution.