[thelist] DSL in America

Eöl eol1 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 10:30:07 CST 2001

Ben Henick,

I believe you are misreading the term *unlimited*.
Bet your TOS has a blivet that says within reasonable
use or something along those lines.  Try creating a
program that uses 100% of your d/l and u/l bandwidth
24 hours a day 7 days a week for a month or two.
Heck, make one that even uses 25% of it.  Bet you get
a call and a cancel from your ISP.  Your ISP pays for
every bit you send/receive in peering  and transit
costs.  The reason they can offer unlimited is because
they expect reasonable residential use where you line
is idle or <10% use the majority of the time (ie
sleeping/work/you aren't using bandwidth when you are
viewing a page (as it is already d/l'ed).  1GB per
month does seem kind of low though.

Eöl