[thelist] PDFs & Internet Explorer

Susan Wallace susanhw at webcastle.com
Thu Dec 6 12:56:30 CST 2001

Hi Pam,

I have seen this problem consistently with the Acrobat Reader plugin and IE
on a Mac. (System 8.6 and higher). The workaround that we use in our case
is to have the user right-click (Click and hold on a Mac) and choose "Save
Target As". Once the file has been downloaded to their system, they can
double-click it to open in Reader (not the plugin) and all is usually well.
This is where we discover if they actually do have the latest version
installed. If that works for them, we suggest that they follow Adobe's
guidelines for removing the plugin from their IE installation, and
re-installing it. That has worked in some cases. Also, to add more bumps,
AOL users have to manually copy the plugin to their AOL plugins folder -
and I have seen this be the case where they were using the "AOL browser"
AND when using AOL as a dialup and opening IE independently. (If that makes
sense - I don't use AOL so may not have that terminology correct)

HTH!
Susan Wallace