[thelist] Is server-side browser-sniffing a bad idea?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 6 15:47:42 CST 2001

> From: Ben Gustafson <ben_gustafson at lionbridge.com>
[...]
> I'm not sure if I follow how web caching would alter the HTTP User
> Agent string that a browser sends to the Web server. Do all clients
> connecting via a proxy server identify themselves as the first browser
> that requested the page they are requesting?

no, it doesn't alter the string... this scenario:

1. NN user goes to foo.com...
2. proxy intercepts request, sends request to foo.com...
3. foo.com responds with NN-specific code...
4. proxy caches page, passes to NN user...
5. IE user goes to foo.com...
6. proxy intercepts request, hands back cached version...
7. IE user gets code error, because it was NN page...

is that any clearer?