[thelist] Can't get MySQL to run on Boot (was: Single install of PHP4, MySQL, Apache for Linux?)

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Thu Dec 6 19:10:29 CST 2001

+1 on low end linux mailservers..

my first out of school job i installed an old gateway 120 with 64Mb of
ram and 5Gb disk to handle email & DNS for 3 domains, POP3 for 15
people, IMAP  for 20 others, and ran a mailing list that shot out about
1500 emails a day. Ran like a *champ* for with non downtime for 10
months then blew a disk drive. at which point i replaced with with a
p166 and new drive :)

email & dns especially are low cpu/memory usage, although high on disk
I/O and are services that run great on old servers.

hell, every email going through lists.evolt.org gets relayed through
either a 486/66, p133, or 8 year old sparc5 - all running linux - before
going to individual mailboxes. on an slow day of 100 emails between all
the lists, thats over 300,000 emails per *day* :)

so ya, they make good mailservers ;)

.djc.