[thelist] Longitude conversion

Mike Migurski mike at saturn5.com
Fri Dec 7 11:38:05 CST 2001

hi,

short answer:

The distance covered by one minute of long. is proportional to that
covered by one minute of lat. by the cosine of the angle from the equator.
Angle from the the equator is given directly by long., so:

cos( long. ) * 6080ft

long answer:

http://www.mathforum.com/dr.math/problems/longandlat.html

-mike.

                   michal migurski     mike at saturn5.com
                  tel:650.624.8552     AIM:migurski
       http://www.saturn5.com/mike     ICQ:47513232
        We're lying in the gutter, but we're looking at the stars.