[thelist] Weblog "help"

Julia Frizzell Julia_Frizzell at brown.edu
Fri Dec 7 14:40:49 CST 2001

I've been using Blogger for a short time now with my blog, but was
tempted into trying Greymatter since it's all run and hosted by me
and my site, and I could easily do the comment thing. I had some
problems with the installation, but got those sorted out, and my
temporary site is working.

But I've found the interface (using .cgi) to be *really* annoying. I
often have to reload the page *multiple* times to get the password to
take, to get pages to rebuild, etc. I thought it may have just been
me with OSX and IE 5.1, until I tried it with Netscape 6 (wouldn't
even load the .cgi) and Opera (same problems as IE 5.1, once I got it
running). So then I tried at home from the PC, thinking it was maybe
OSX, but had the same problems using IE there too.

I also found it non-intuitive to change the templates. I like plain
ol' HTML, and trying to design a template looked to be some work.

So, all that said -- I was wondering if anyone could recommend
another blog-type software bit to use, something I could maybe run on
my own site instead of using someone else's server. I know HTML,
that's all. Don't know php (but could maybe start learning) or perl
or anything like that, so the simpler, the better.

I *am* happy with Blogger. I just want to try comments without having
to do the popup thang.

Thanks in advance!
--
Julia Frizzell