[thelist] Job Opps in the US? An informal survey.

Ray Hill lists at prydain.com
Fri Dec 7 15:34:12 CST 2001

In a word, the job market is unbalanced here in the Silicon Valley.
Tons of people in the tech insudtry flocked here when the jobs were
abundant, and now that most of the jobs have disappeared, there are
tons of very qualified people living off of unemployment or moving out
of the area.

There are still jobs available, of course.  It's just that these days
you really have to fight to get them, since the companies know that
they have tons of potential employees to pick from, and can therefore
be incredibly picky.  For example, I have seen very few job postings
lately that do not require a bachelors degree, where that was almost
unheard of two years ago.

So unless you've already got a job lined up, I'd suggest shooting for
somewhere other than the San Francisco bay area.  It *is* the best
place in the world to live (from the native's point of view, anyhow),
but it's a lousy place to job hunt these days.

--ray