[thelist] formmail "bad referrer" error, with no apparent cause?

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Sat Dec 8 13:06:52 CST 2001

On 8 Dec 2001, at 12:26, Heather Quinn posted a message which said:

> It was a genuine bad referrer error from a genuine user.  I took another
> look at the error the user sent on to us, and the referrer is missing
> its leading www.  Now I'm hanging my head in embarrassment because,
> being the detail-oriented person I am, I always type in full URL's and
> I've completely ignored the people who type in "somesite.com", and get a
> return URL of "http://somesite.com" due to virtual hosting config files.
> :(

It's not that they are typing in partial URLs and you're typing in full
ones. It's that www.somesite.com and somesite.com are different
domains, and *can* have different IPs - and even if the IPs are the
same, can point to different websites.

Most hosting companies give you both URLs pointing to the same
directory, but Tom Christiansen used to have different websites at
perl.com and www.perl.com  (They are both the same O'Reilly
website now although interestingly, they are running Apache rather
than the server that O'Reilly publishes. Homesite? Something like
that.)

deke

--------
We are the parents our people warned us about....