[thelist] Cookie / Count problems (fwd)

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Mon Dec 10 09:35:10 CST 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:15:01 +0100
From: Tiele Declercq <tiele at staff.start.be>
To: Evolt Mailing <thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org>
Subject: Cookie / Count problems

I have a problem counting my unique visitors, so i'd like to ask how certain websites do this...

When creating a counter i would think you always have to log 2 things to get a clue on how popular your website really is, pageviews and unique visitors. Counting pageviews isn't a problem but when counting unique visitors i would have to place a cookie client side to identify this person (counting IP based would be dumb since there can be multiple pc's behind one IP). To be able to create a unique number for each visitor i first need to create a record in MySQL for this person and get the ID from this record into the cookie and i first thought that it was succesful, until i looked into it :o(   It seems that the cookie was only placed correctly with IE 4, 5 & 5.5...  IE 6.0 reacted completely different on the cookie.  I did manage to place a cookie, but the cookie should be able to get retrieved from multiple subdomains (so when the cookie was placed on auto.start.be it should be retrieved on microsoft.start.be, www.start.be and even start.be)  But it didn't ! :o(      I'm working in Perl using CGI::Cookie, i've set the domain to the following: domain => "start.be"  ;   domain => ".start.be" domain => "" and tried leaving it out,...   but all same result :o(

I looked everywhere but couldn't find any answers to my problem :o(   I know it's not possible to retrieve a cookie from another domain but it IS from another subdomain, isn't it ??

Groetjes,
Tiele Declercq [ tiele at staff.start.be ]

---

Projectleider Start.be