[thelist] MySQL vs PostgreSQL - Opinions Please

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Mon Dec 10 11:32:01 CST 2001

+| Bottom line, AFAICS, is that mysql tends towards the feature-light
+| side (relatively speaking) emphasizing speed, reliability, and
+| load-predictability, while postgresql is more or less the inverse.
+| Tim Perdue did a write up a while back on phpbuilder.com:
+|
+| http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000705.php3?page=1
+|

This is a great article. I like to see common things held true by a majority
simply because of hype, or "we've always done it like this" overturned by
real science and methodical testing. *

Tim's follow-up article is just as relevant, and further discriminates
between the two, pointing out areas where one is weak and the other strong,
and vice-versa.

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3

<rory disposition="Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends..."
alt="8)"/>

* Interestingly, a careful examination of most holy texts of divine
religions uphold the  same criterion for accepting reality -- that of
testing and proving. Dogma creeps in over time. Is it any wonder, then, that
the greatest leaps in civilization have been the centuries following the
introduction of one of these texts?