[thelist] PC File Utilities?

Aleem aleem at mindless.com
Mon Dec 10 12:24:32 CST 2001

> At this moment, for example, I wanted to find all instances of a text
> file called readme.eml. I then wanted to remove the read-only flag,

Start -> Search -> Find -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Show
Hidden Files and folders
Search _vti_cnf (or _vti will do just fine)
> select them all and delete them. I want to do the same with folders
> called _vti_cnf.
Edit -> Select All -> Right Click -> Delete

> What I'm looking for is a utility that will allow me to do everything
> and anything that can be done to files and folders. Basically, disk
> management. Who knows what I might do in the futre. I image that
> general cleaning up is a big part of it.

Properties Plus is one such utility
(http://www.ne.jp/asahi/cool/kish/pplusmain.htm)

In the above example if you search *.txt and wanted to rename all to
*.bak you would select all -> Right Click -> Properties Plus -> Check
Extension -> bak

It allows you the modify the timestamp, attributes, name (lower/upper
case)

Given that, you could also use the DOS command> ren *.txt *.bak inside a
folder. And the attrib -h-r-s *.* to remove hidden/system/readonly
attribs from all files in current folder.

--

Our best destiny, as planetary cohabitants, is the development
of what has been called "species consciousness" - something over

Frank Marion                      Framar Studios
frank at framarstudios.com           http://www.framarstudios.com