[thelist] PHP/PERL Adserver Recommendation?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Mon Dec 10 13:06:39 CST 2001

 >Anyone had any particularly good experiences with any PHP- or PERL-based ad

Welp, I've played with two options. The one I'm currently using is
WebAdverts from http://awsd.com/scripts/webadverts/index.shtml which works
pretty well - you can demo it on the site.

The other one I've used is a Perl/Apache module plugin call mod_adbanners -
it's the same system that runs the OSDN (Slashdot, Freshmeat, etc.) sites,
and that's available here: http://modadbanners.sourceforge.net/

WebAdverts is super easy to use, but perhaps too "simplistic" - you can't
serve certain banners based on page keywords, geographic location, or
cookie based preferences. mod_adbanners does all the above crap, but the UI
to it is horrific, and there's no documentation. It requires patience.

Support wise, there's a huge following behind WebAdverts with a forum and
hacks available, and mod_adbanners only calling is that it runs OSDN.

Either way, from these recommendations, and any others, I'd be interested
in hearing a wrapup of ones you've looked at, why you didn't choose them,
and why you chose the one you did. Would you care to write something up for
me or the evolt list?

--
Morbus Iff ( softcore vulcan porn rulezzzzz )
http://www.disobey.com/ && http://www.gamegrene.com/