[thelist] Utility for monitoring disk access

Aaron Johnson ajohnson at mindseye.com
Mon Dec 10 13:51:58 CST 2001

Hi Madhu,

Couple different things you can use:

a) Task Manager -- right click anywhere on your task bar, click on Task
Manager.   For more options, click on "View --> Select Columns".  Task
Manager gives you a processor/memory look at what you computer is doing at
any given instant.

b) System Monitor (previously Performance Monitor in NT) -- start -->
run --> type "perfmon"... enables you to add counters for almost everything
on your system (logical|physical disk, processor, memory, paging file, IIS
connections, whatever...  It will NOT tell you what is using your memory or
disk, but you might be able to deduce from System Monitor and Task Manager
together what is taking up disk.  (for a great geek out time, check out the
ability to have alerts fired whenver your system reaches certain thresholds
using System Monitor, pretty cool stuff)

Side note: in order to view logical and physical disk counters on 2000,
you'll need to activate them (start --> run --> type "diskperf -y")

Aaron Johnson, MCSE, MCP+I
Macromedia Certified ColdFusion Developer
MINDSEYE, Inc.
<phn>617.350.0339
<mbl>617.461.3721
<fax>617.350.8884