[thelist] NS Repeating Background Problem

nate koechley nate at vicksburgcollective.com
Mon Dec 10 15:01:38 CST 2001

Aleem,

I was going to submit this as a tip anyway, but maybe you'll find it
specifically helpful?

After quite a bit of testing, I believe the following tip to be true.
Comments welcome.

<tip browser="netscape 4.*" type="background image bug" platform="PC"
author="nate koechley">
when trying to use background images in either tables or td's with the HTML
attribute background="foobar.gif", netscape (4.*/PC) won't show the image
if it is less that 1024 square pixels in total area. (8*128, 32*32, 128*8, etc)

of course, an image can be bigger than the td and because it's just a
background it won't stretch/break anything. so, just add a bunch of
transparency to the right side of your image, or some other manipulation to
the shape/size to pass 1024 total pixels, and you should be happy.

there seem to be too many problems with style="background-image:
url(foobar.gif)" in netscape within tables and tds. you can use the CSS for
the body background, but for table elements, I'd suggest using the oldskool
backgroud="*.gif" in conjunction with a bgcolor.
</tip>

HTH,
natek

BTW: Not to be too picky, but i think the correct syntax for CSS
background-images is to not have single quotes around the imagepath, as was
suggested in prior emails:

<code>
	background-image: url(images/bgb.gif)
</code>

from: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#background-image

I don't know of a specific case where it matters, but it's worth noting.