[thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet, Part 2

Olly Hodgson gnarly at punkass.com
Mon Dec 10 17:52:17 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chad Savage" <jg3_savage at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet, Part 2

> If I'm using an include, wouldn't that be basically
> the same thing it's already doing, just via a
> different method?

Ah, but say you decide to switch to a Java navigation bar. Or you change to
a new version of the flash file (which has a different filename or is in
another directory). Or Macromedia decide that you need to change something
in the HTML so their spangly new Flash 6.0 gizmo technology is compatible
with Netscape 7. Simply change the HTML surrounding it in the include file
and its done. Otherwise you end up changing it in every single HTML file
that uses it.

You might not plan to do these things now but should you decide to rearrange
things at a later date, SSIs (or another server side technology) simplifies
things a lot.

> I think my main concern is that once somebody's
> browser had downloaded the nav, it doesn't have to be
> DL'd over and over again...

It should get cached shouldnt it?

Olly.