[thelist] MySQL vs PostgreSQL - Opinions Please

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Mon Dec 10 21:17:45 CST 2001

+| OMG! The follow up doesn't point out a single area where mysql is
+| stronger. Postgresql completely canes mysql on every heavy
+| load test!
+| Can I revise the statement above to read 'MySQL is designed to be
+| faster by sacrificing features; Postgresql has more
+| features, crashes
+| less, and runs under a heavier load far faster.'

Andrew,

You're right, it's pretty much an eye-opener and blew the doors off of many
people's assumptions. I had always wondered why people would opt for such a
lightweight DB over PostgreSQL...

However, PGSQL still has some, let's say, cumbersomeness (less every
release), tends to muck up data (caution to those who disdain backups... you
will be burned!) and stall for no apparent reason.

Also MySQL is catching up on features, though, imho, it is not as
enterprise-class as PGSQL, and will remain so for the conceivable future,
barring a stoppage of development for PGSQL. The best for MySQL is yet to
come... namely Stored Procs, real FK relationships, and better locking
(anything would be better).

All in all, next year will be a Good Year for those who do it on the cheap!

<rory disposition="appreciatively" alt="8)"/>