[thelist] MySQL vs PostgreSQL - Opinions Please

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Mon Dec 10 21:25:29 CST 2001

>Also MySQL is catching up on features, though, imho, it is not as
>enterprise-class as PGSQL, and will remain so for the conceivable future,
>barring a stoppage of development for PGSQL. The best for MySQL is yet to
>come... namely Stored Procs, real FK relationships, and better locking
>(anything would be better).

Interestingly, on the 4.1 development page I posted yesterday,
there's a comment from someone who says they've been able to get
foreign key integrity rules to apply to an innodb table in mysql 4.0:

>Foreign key support does works now in 4.0! However I found that It
>wouldn't work with the binary package (redhat linux 7.2), so I had
>to compile from source. Also you need to use InnoDB table type. Once
>you configure, make, make install from source try something like
>this: CREATE TABLE customers ( customerid int(1) PRIMARY KEY,
>firstname char(50), lastname char(50) )TYPE=InnoDB; CREATE TABLE
>orders ( orderid int(1) PRIMARY KEY, customerid int(1) NOT NULL,
>INDEX customers_fk (customerid), FOREIGN KEY (customerid) REFERENCES
>customers (customerid) )TYPE=InnoDB; Then test it out with something
>like: INSERT INTO orders2 (orderid, customerid) VALUES (1,2); and it
>should give you the (somewhat cryptic) error message: "Got error
>1000010 from table handler" Good luck!

I haven't verified it, but might be a fun task for tonight.

>All in all, next year will be a Good Year for those who do it on the cheap!

Hmpf!

<tip type="clients + xmas">
It's coming up soon. Don't forget your lovely clients' xmas
<cough>bribes</cough> presents. :)
</tip>
--
Andrew Forsberg