[thelist] portfolio

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 10 23:48:20 CST 2001

> From: Peter <peter at poorbuthappy.com>
[...]
> http://petervandijck.net/.
>
> Any feedback is welcome. If you were an employer having a quick look
> at it, would you invite me for an interview? What would make you do

quick look?  no...  what would make me do that?  not much, i
suppose... it would help, however, if your design was a bit more
engaging... feels to nielseny to me... there's a lot going on, but no
real reason for me to read it... i also can't quickly parse the page
structure just by looking, so i don't see the relationship between
elements...  there's no color/tonal differences to help me, either...

> that? What would stop you? Do I need more examples? Less examples?

refine your examples... do they need to be that big?  is 600px
really necessary?  do you need to have a bubble blow-up with all
the text larger than your headlines?

what does the darwin quote mean in this context?  that's not just
curiosity -- as a potential employer, i want to know what this
statement you chose means to you... otherwise, i have to
competing ideas of what it means...

why have you bolded and highlighted words that *aren't* key
words?  my eye goes to them but i see words like "and," "look,"
"final deliverable"... nothing that's going to make me stop and
read... remember, as a user i'm scanning the page for things to pop
out (keywords, images), i'm not reading it as i would a book (start
to finish), i'm jumping all over the page looking for words (which
don't fit) and images (which are kind of bland), or at least some
structure to tell me what the page is about...

> (Note: I am planning to add a picture of a workshop with lots of
> sticky notes on the walls, but that's it. I have lots of other
> examples, but I thought it would be a bit repetitive to show for
> example heaps of (similar) layout diagrams (wireframes) for example)

don't...