[thelist] Counting files in a folder using JavaScript

Burhan Khalid burhankh at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 11 08:32:25 CST 2001

I believe the man said JavaScript. If my memory serves me correctly, don't
security restrictions prohibit javascript from accessing files?

--Burhan Khalid

 > Hey all,
 >
 > Is there a quick and easy way to count files in a folder and
 > assign the
 > number to a var in JavaScript?

Dave,

Here's a quick and easy way to use the FileSystemObject in ASP to count the
number of
files in a folder and pass this server-side info to client-side JavaScript:

--
<%

var filesCount = 0;
var strPath = "c:\\path\\to\\your\\folder";
countFiles(strPath);

function countFiles(strPath)
{
	var objFSO = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");
	var objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strPath);
	var objFiles = objFolder.Files;
	filesCount = objFiles.Count;
	objFolder = null;
	objFiles = null;
	objFSO = null;
}

%>

  <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2"><!--
	var numFiles = "<%= filesCount %>";
//--></SCRIPT>
--

I imagine most any other server technology can do a similar thing.

--Ben Gustafson
   Lionbridge Technologies
   www.lionbridge.com