[thelist] HTTP Headers

Ron_Senykoff at BEAEROSPACE.COM Ron_Senykoff at BEAEROSPACE.COM
Tue Dec 11 08:37:22 CST 2001

<snip>
I am looking for a way to view the http headers that are sent and
recieved by my browser.  Can anyone recommend a program that will
allow me to see the communication in action?
</snip>

Use a telnet client to telnet to port 80.  Doing this, you're controlling
what the server gets and you see exactly what it returns.
First, get a telnet client (there are several free ones)
Telnet to port 80 of the server you want to see the headers (you set this
connection up in the telnet program)
type:
GET / HTTP/1.1[enter]
[enter]
[enter]

and you should see the default server page.  to view a specific page, let's
say
GET /myDirectory/myPage.html HTTP/1.1[enter]
[enter]
[enter]

HTH.

I just recently was using this to troubleshoot a WAP site... turns out the
server was saying it was HTML not WML

-Ron