[thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet

Steve Cook steve.cook at evitbe.com
Tue Dec 11 09:09:58 CST 2001

Has anyone written anything for evolt.org? Well, I can't remember though I'd
be surprised if there wasn't something lurking around on the subject.

However, I've never understood why this issue provokes such fanaticism and
such blurry viewpoints. I mean, really, there is only one truly correct
approach and that is (as has been said several times) know your audience and
design for them.

That means that the debate is essentially irrelevant - if the site in
question is your homepage, you have the freedom to place demands on your
users, if however you are designing for a business site, then you should
design according to the users you expect to receive. Lots of Mac & Linux
users? - cater for them. Corporate intranet with users running IE? - cater
for them. "General" site with a wide spread of users? - cater for them.

I'm sure someone will find something to quibble about in this
oversimplification, but seriously - any other approach is flawed if you want
to produce an effective business site.

My 2 öre!

.steve

   WapWarp - http://wapwarp.com