[thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet

Mark Howells mark at mountain.ch
Tue Dec 11 09:34:48 CST 2001

> Von: "aardvark" <roselli at earthlink.net>
> Antworten an: thelist at lists.evolt.org
> Datum: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:23:31 -0500
> An: thelist at lists.evolt.org
> Betreff: Re: [thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet
>
>> From: Mark Howells <mark at mountain.ch>

The original reason for my diatribe was this

0.02% are viewing sites in it?}

Then Aardvark said...

> I wonder why everyone forgets about handicapped users...

Because they're in the minority at the moment, along with the poor Netscape
3 users.

Amongst other reasons, coding for all browsers (and ensuring compatibility
for as many users as possible) means that handicapped or disabled users will
be able to view much more content than they can at the moment.

>>> Really, what *user* benefits does anything
>>> introduced since then actually offer?
>>
>> None, if you take ease of use, download speed, interface functionality
>> and data security out of the equation.
>
> i'm assuming the original statement was about browsers (you cut
> the original message sender, and i'm not about to go hunting in my
> trash)...

I was referring more to the interface functionality within web applications,
rather than the browsers themselves. Sorry if I buried that a bit deep!

> downloading ever newer and fatter
> browsers doesn't appeal to me...

That's your choice - so why should you be refused entry to a site that
demands that you have Mozilla on Windows 2000 before you'll be admitted?

> - interface functionality hasn't improved for me in any browser in a
> long time... i've got back, forward, stop, reload, view source, and
> bookmark... i use some of the other stuff, but most of the new
> features go unused... assuming i want to take the time to learn
> them... and with IE constantly switching which menu holds which
> items between versions 3 and 5, i'm sick of their UI updates...

I can't get into a debate about browser advances because I'm not that up on
the intimate details, away from coding websites to take advantage of new
functionality (i.e. Javascript etc). I'm sure that there are other features
that improve your browsing experience without you being aware of them.

Regards
Mark Howells
Working in a Winter Wonderland
http://www.mark.ac