[thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet

Paul Backhouse paul.backhouse at 2cs.com
Tue Dec 11 09:34:51 CST 2001

I totally agree with the javascript problem - i hate it, popups
everywhere..arrrgghh!!!
but at the end of the day thats other developers misusing their skills -
fair enough they want to make money - but they loose people on their site
due to excessive popups.

>> oh, wait, if you mean it shows pages as you intend, then sure, but
>> only if you consider your design on your one site to be a better
>> experience than all the other issues the user has to go through to
>> upgrade and learn the new version.... IMO, it's not...

As for improved experience - of course its going to be better viewing a
website in IE 4.x/5.x.6 or NS 4.x/6.x then in IE 2 or NS 3.

>> very US-centric perspective... not everyone *wants* to tie up phone
>> lines over night... not everyone is in the US and has cheap rates...
>> not everyone has a newer machine with a faster modem... we don't
>> have to get users to be more 'up-to-date' at all... the web was doing
>> a fine job selling products in old browsers... your argument is still
>> only about making it easier for the developer, which, IMO, is not a
>> valid argument...

US-centric perpective, fraid not, UK perspective and oevr here is rapidly
becoming available in bandwidth terms - but its no where near enough.

Martin:
I can't honestly believe that you are happy to keep programming the way you
are - happy to have the web the way it is - change happens, it will keep
happening, we evolve, we need more information, quicker and easier than
before, if you're happy to keep it the way it is then you're in for a big
shock, the next 3-5 years will be crucial as to what the web is going to
become - how it will change and how we will have to adapt to this,
interactive TV, shopping without having to leave your bed, probably your
toilet (christ, you can do it now).

Did Christopher Columbus stay at home, happy with the world being flat????

People who pioneer make things happen, can make things better, and agreed
can make things worse - but if we all stop and stay the way we are the world
be a very boring place.

cheers

paul