[thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet

Mark Howells mark at mountain.ch
Tue Dec 11 10:06:59 CST 2001

I'll keep this one short.

> Von: <martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com>
> Betreff: Re: [thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet
>
>> So what you're saying is that all websites should be designed with
>> specific users of that site in mind, then?
>
> Ideally, yes, or failing the specific users (which can take a lot of
> research to understand how your site's users differ from the
> user universe), users in general.

There is no such thing as a "user in general". Everyone has different
requirements to one degree or another.

>> Hold on there ... who said anything about it "not working properly"?
>
> 'different functional capabilities'

Capabilites, not inabilities.

>> I'm
>> sure that you'll agree that users and clients, in the main, will be happy
>> accept a website (or web application) that functions as intended at the
>> concept and planning stage, prior to it's release.
>
> I'm still not seeing any users which truely need more client-side
> functionality.
> Design it so it doesn't need browser-specific features.

Thank you for agreeing with me on that point.

>> The main development of the public
>> and intranet access websites is keyed on the fact that the design and code
>> must work for all these users.
>
> And that's your problem to solve. Now I can see that for you, coding once
> is ideal,
> rather than doing complex browser detection and serving.
> But I'm a user and I don't care.

You would if you were on a 14.4kbps modem in Africa and I decided to ignore
your requirements because you weren't a "general user".

Regards
Mark Howells
Working in a Winter Wonderland
http://www.mark.ac