[thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet

Paul Backhouse paul.backhouse at 2cs.com
Tue Dec 11 10:19:41 CST 2001

exactly. bandwidth is the key!

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org]On Behalf Of Mark Howells
Sent: 11 December 2001 16:16
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet

> Von: "Paul Backhouse" <paul.backhouse at 2cs.com>
> Antworten an: thelist at lists.evolt.org
> Datum: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:09:47 -0000
> An: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
> Betreff: RE: [thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet
>
>>> You would [care] if you were on a 14.4kbps modem in Africa and I decided
>>> ignore your requirements because you weren't a "general user".
>
> good point, buts that more of a download issue, the site will be slower
> (considerably) than normal, so does this mean we stop everything and make
> white pages again with simple text links? therefore restricting the rest
of
> the world.

No, it means that I would try to make sure that the user in Africa, who
doesn't want to download a 15MB Netscape upgrade because he is on a 14.4
connection, can still view the content without downloading a heavy CSS file.

That way, I download a site styled with CSS2 over a T1 to my new Mac, while
he (or she) gets a simple text site. All with the power of common code.

Mark Howells
Working in a Winter Wonderland
http://www.mark.ac