[thelist] older browsers - why are people still using them?

carole guevin carole at soulmedia.com
Tue Dec 11 10:26:07 CST 2001

hi there,

> > stick in the muds will be forced to upgrade, making our lives
> even easier

Agreed - like you wouldn't accept today to have an *operator* plug you to
the right party everytime you pick up the telephone... when the technology
evolved - everybody evolved.

> Or they just wont visit your sites any more. Theres plenty of others out
> there :-)

I don't agree - the web - per se - is NOT a mass media - and most statistics
show a shrinking portion of people using older browsers.  Since it's a
*niche* media - I explain to my client *who* their target audience is - and
THEY want to be seen as technologically *in* - so they accept to have their
site coded for browsers version 5+.
They have plenty of choice - but personally - I'd rather call my party
directly and not have a third party eavesdropping - if you can accept the
comparison.  It's a matter of evolving with the media and the technology
requirements of such.

carole guevin
 + communication design + http://soulmedia.com
 + feed your eyes + http://netdiver.net