[thelist] Contract help please

Merlene Paynter Blacha merlene_blacha at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 11 10:27:48 CST 2001

Hi there Evolters,
I've been messing around with personal web sites for the past 7 years
and have had a couple of mentions in books, magazines, etc but I haven't
pursued web design as anything other than a hobby until recently.

A few months ago a relative approached me to do a corporate website for
the company he works for and I agreed. He and I made a verbal agreement
on payment and site content but never had anything in writing. The terms
of the job have changed many times over the past few months. What was
originally, it seemed, a fairly straight-forward site, has become this
huge monster and my life has been put on hold as we have delays on the
company's end getting the data, photographs, etc. to me. The job was
supposed to be completed for November 15 but due to the delays it's now
looking like it might be sometime in the new year before this job is
finished. Meanwhile, I've been putting off other things to make the time
for this project, only to sit around with nothing to do while I hear
excuses as to why the content (data, images, etc.) is not ready. The
structure of the site has been changed by the company several times. I'm
very frustrated. As far as payment goes they have been more than
generous and they've already paid me more than double what the original
agreement and I'm still expecting several thousand at the end of the
job. Now because of this job I have two other companies wanting me to do
their sites, both much smaller companies and much smaller scale sites,
but I'd really like to have a contract with each. I've been lucky in
that I did get compensated well from the first company for the delays
but I wouldn't count on that happening again.

I really have no idea where to look for contract information. I am
suddenly "in business" for what has always been a hobby and I'm not sure
if I want to continue as a business beyond these next two projects or
not. I don't really want to start dealing with a lawyer at this point,
especially if I don't pursue this business. So what I am asking for is
if someone could send me a sample contract? What should I have in
writing to cover things like delays, complete changes in the site
required, etc? I don't care about pricing, etc. I have that under
control but mainly just what should I specify in a contract?

Thanks in advance!
Merlene
Ontario, Canada