[thelist] older browsers - why are people still using them?

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Tue Dec 11 10:31:26 CST 2001

On 09:55 AM 12/11/2001, Paul J White said to me:
>Herschel wrote:
><<he doesn't want to spend the
>time installing on his PC and he doesn't see any need to upgrade--his
>current browser seems to work just fine to him!>>
>
>So he will upgrade when his current browser no longer functions? Is this not
>an argument against making our sites cross browser compatible - if we design
>and code purely for NN6 & IE6 and standards compliant browsers, then these
>stick in the muds will be forced to upgrade, making our lives even easier
>;-)

No, he'll just never be back.

I wish some designers (stares at the ceiling, not pointing fingers) would
get over having to use the latest technology for everything, it simply
isn't necessary...or often practical.

It simply isn't worth making a fuss over some users simply because not
everyone can see your dashed CSS border.

Write valid code, *allow everyone* to view the content and everything else
beyond that is gravy.  Your users will thank you.

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/