[thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet

Paul Backhouse paul.backhouse at 2cs.com
Tue Dec 11 11:35:19 CST 2001

Martin:
>> In any way which users actually care about? I've yet to see a CSS site
>> which would really impact the users by using tables.

Presentation, are you saying that CSS doesn't help you at in making a site
look better, look slick, make the user feel like he/she is in a friendly
environment???

We can go into psychology if you want - how a human reacts in different
environments.

>> Sorry paul, that doesn't hold up as an argument "Some people say
>> it's better, so it must be!"

Not my argument at all, I was basically saying why are people making new
upgrades if they dont improve you systems in some way, it makes no sense to
make a product thats worse than the one you released before - example NS 3 -
then the dissappointing NS 4 - hence why IE 4 grabbed the market because its
competitor had screwed up - people wanted more from NS 3 (well i did anyway)
and IE 3 was far behind NS 3, but IE 4, hmm...interesting, well layed out
(design -presentation), simple, cute and cuddly yes, and i hate cute and
cuddly, but compared with NS 4 it wiped it off the face of the floor (i hate
myself for saying this because i know exactly wat the next replys going to
be, DOM, and i hate microsoft as much as the next developer - in some
areas!)

>> If there is a speed difference, it's not significant compared with other
>> factors such as speed of machine and connection. Most users blame
>> the site/their connection if the page downloads slowly.

Yes this is true - surely you must see some benefit to upgrading at least
once!

cheers

paul