[thelist] older browsers - why are people still using them?

Bradee Haskins b at bradee.com
Tue Dec 11 12:35:19 CST 2001

> No, he'll just never be back.
>
> I wish some designers (stares at the ceiling, not pointing fingers) would
> get over having to use the latest technology for everything, it simply
> isn't necessary...or often practical.
>
> It simply isn't worth making a fuss over some users simply because not
> everyone can see your dashed CSS border.
>
> Write valid code, *allow everyone* to view the content and everything else
> beyond that is gravy.  Your users will thank you.
>
> --Ben

I kinda agree with ben. He will never be back... at least not for a long
while.  And if you are ok with that. Then put your foot down and design
away. In my case, I try and design for the customers we serve. It's hard
to remember sometimes that in it's purest form, the internet is an
*information* conduit. Not just a place for us to show off our
w3c-compliant design chops. Although, I find this hard to remember myself.
I often use the dual css trick. One for my 'with-it' 6.o browser crowd,...
and one for the netscape 4.x folks lurking in the dusk. I am happy. They
can read it.  Everyone wins. (I learned that not everyone 'gets' browser
upgrading, when I asked my mother, who has 25+ years with IBM looked at a
site I designed and couldn't see anything... yes, she was using netscape
4.x. This was a reminder for me.)

bradee.