[thelist] PWS dilemma

Tyme nopun at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 11 12:37:09 CST 2001

Have a client who is a CPA.  She wants her clients to be able to enter their
payroll and other accounting information directly into her accounting
software package.  Trying to help her find the right solution and avoid the
security pitfalls...but I am _not_ a network admin.  She has been advised by
someone else thusly:

1. Configure her computer (WinME) as a server
2. Get a static IP address (from cable modem company)

I have further suggested, if taking that approach, that:

3. Her clients also need a static IP address so that she can restrict (e.g.,
thru Zone Alarm) who has access to her server.
4. Restrict file sharing to applicable folder; password protect sharing
5. Restrict clients access within accounting software (somehow)
6. ????

She will have only 1 (maybe more later) client doing this, and they will
only need to access her PWS for that one application.

Any better solutions?
Any articles come to mind about setting up and securing such a specific use?
(A Google search produces too much and too broad of info.)
Anyone with personal experience to share?

I am recommending that she hire a Network Admin. to set it up, but just
wanna know the issues to be sure that they are addressed.

Thank you.
Tyme