[thelist] CSS layout site check

noah noah at tookish.net
Tue Dec 11 12:38:22 CST 2001

Thanks to everyone for your comments and opinions (on
http://www.taguchimonster.com/).

At 05:07 AM 11/12/2001, Peter-Paul Koch wrote:

>As far as I can see it can look OK-ish in NN4 if you put the image outside
>the P. An image inside a P with a line-height fouls up mightily in NN4, if
>you put it outside the P it will probably look much better.
>
>If you redefine
>
>border-bottom: 4px solid #000066;
>
>as
>
>border-bottom-width: 4px;
>border-style: solid;
>border-bottom-color: #000066;

+1 - thanks very much for that - it's now fully legible in NS 4.7 on Win
(though it still doesn't look pretty)

the same layout could easily be achieved with tables: I generally use
tables for layout in order to make it work for NS 4.x users, but in this
case I decided not to for a few reasons:

1. I'm not anticipating a huge number of visitors - when we have our first
Top 40 hit and the site gets swamped, maybe I'll switch to tables - in the
meantime, if 6 people in the next year don't see the formatting properly, I
can accept that
2. it's a personal site, to some extent, so I don't have to satisfy anyone
else's requirements
3. it gave me a chance to start learning CSS-based layout
4. it feels so good to use the right technology

As long as the information is actually accessible to users of older
browsers, I'm satisfied.

Again, thanks to all for your help

Cheers,
Noah