[thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 11 12:58:36 CST 2001

> From: Mark Howells <mark at mountain.ch>
[...]
> - If you're a developer, then you're talking yourself into a lot of
> extra work every time new full versions of the popular web browsers
> are released. The result of all this new-fangled "standards
> compliance" is less work for you.

actually, nowhere does he argue against standards compliance... i
know for a fact he's down with it... he's one of the people who
assisted with the evolt.org v2 rebuild, which is a great example of
standards-compliance *and* backward compatibility (look at the
screencaps):

Inside the evolt.org Rebuild: The HTML and CSS
http://evolt.org/article/list/20/5816/

> - If you're a user, then you won't see the difference when the web
> developers start making sites to work in all browsers, as you'll get
> what you get. You'll have no means of comparing the results of this
> work side by side and so you won't moan that the site looks different
> in NS and IE (as I can't imagine that the disinterested end user will

how about now?

> use more than one browser). If you're a user, then what does it matter
> how the end result is achieved, if the site works well in your
> browser?

exactly...

too bad that message keeps getting lost...

so, why is anyone advocating cutting old browsers again?