[thelist] Re: Jumping In With Both Feet

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 11 12:58:45 CST 2001

> From: Lachlan Cannon <tiedefenderdelta6 at yahoo.com>
>
> If you code for standards complaince, using xhtml/html and
> css for formatting and layout everything in the correct
> order you shouldn't have any problems.

i find that HTML 4.01 Transitional and CSS1 gives me the most
bang for my buck, with both backward and forward compatibility...

> Eg, you go to amazon (which has been laid out this way).
[...]
> Amazon is laid out with nested tables now.
[...]
> Voice browser. Uhoh. Voice browser mangles the page because
> of all this illogical ordering and nested tables. Damn,
> there goes one sale.
[...]

what's so sad is that coding tables with linearization in mind has
been a major concern since they were *introduced*... i've always
coded my tables in such a way that they worked in Lynx... as
speech browsers and the like hit the market, the reasons to keep
planning for linearized tables grew...

at no time was there ever *not* a reason to worry about table
linearization...

but, WYSIWYGs, lazy coders, newcomers, etc., have failed to
consider this...