[thelist] older browsers - why are people still using them?

Alexandre Simard alex at anthropie.com
Tue Dec 11 16:01:07 CST 2001

Hi, new digest subscriber here...

Just spent an hour or two catching up on the "am i compliant or not?"
debate.

I think the best summary is this one, from Ben Dyer
<ben_dyer at imaginuity.com>

> Write valid code, *allow everyone* to view the content and everything else
> beyond that is gravy.  Your users will thank you.

Martin <martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com> and Mark <mark at mountain.ch> are
both right, and closer to each other than they might think. Valid,
CSS-heavy, tableless pages do not "break" in older browsers. Only their
design breaks, in a semi-controllable fashion. And as Martin rightfully
says, users don't care.

HTML-1.0-black-on-grey-with-blue-links pages are perfectly usable.
Therefore, everybody's right! Ain't that nice!

Just be careful not to include _any_ site functionnality on the client side.

My .02$

Alexandre

--
Damn, I'm on a list, I need a sig...
> I'm a user of this list on digest mode.
> I don't care why some people are not snipping their posts.
> I don't care why some sigs are twelve paragraphs long.
> it's making my user experinece here really rather annoying.
+1