[thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet

Mark Howells mark at mountain.ch
Wed Dec 12 04:48:20 CST 2001

> Von: <martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com>
> Betreff: Re: [thelist] Jumping In With Both Feet
>
>> and in the long run for the end user, better (read as "different").
>
> Yeah, but 'in the long run' isn't really an effective argument (even if
> it is true) - if I'm happy with what I'm getting now, why do I care?

You don't, because you have no desire to look at new possibilities or expend
a little effort to get more information than you have now. Granted that the
majority of websites out there support NN4.x at the moment, but how will
that situation change over the next five years?

>> I think what some people are trying to say, and how I definitely
>> feel , is that as developers we are ****** off enough at having to keep
>> baking our cakes for nn4.x after so many years of grief,
>
> Sure - and that's valid. But the only way to get away from it
> is if users upgrade

... or to code your sites to take maximum advantage of the capability of
newer browsers, while still allowing access to those with older browsers
(albeit with different styling or functionality). Noone's suggesting that
visitors using NN4.x should be excluded; the point is that development of
new technologies and website functionality shouldn't be stopped or
compromised just because Joe Q Apathy doesn't want to upgrade to a newer
browser.

Regards
Mark Howells
Working in a Winter Wonderland