[thelist] quick ssi question

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 12 10:24:45 CST 2001

> From: Adam <adam at hallinteractive.com>
[...]
> I'm curious about something.
> When using an include in an html document typically wouldn't you keep
> all of the document structure out of the include? like so:
[...]
> and then the parent html doc would control the presentation and
> formatting? Is this correct?

that's one way to do it... i actually keep my content in my .asp
page and include that page nav and structure... this way i have
multiple physical pages of content, with only one place to update
the layout and nav...

[...]
> what if I want to include and entire html doc that has embedded js in
> it, like a nav system? would the include on its own be contained
> within html like this?:
[...]

my approach is often to include includes in my includes... IOW,
nested includes...

so, one file might have the JS *only*, then i have a file that holds
the nav *only*... then i call both includes where i want them in my
master template... then my final content file calls my master
template (which calls the other two)... dig?

> isn't this just a call for frames? should I use iframes? aren't they
> less supported? do I have a clue?
[...]

frames offer no benefit to you that you can't get through includes --
and better... using frames, in fact, could create a lot more hassle
(ready for a plug?  it's old, but still good):

Some Caveats with Using Frames
http://evolt.org/article/list/22/293/